Spice up your slow cooker meal with this zesty salsa-covered pork roast recipe. It's simple to make and the perfect weeknight dish that's sure to please the family.
This basic recipe simply calls for adding a tomato-based salsa to the slower cooker with your pork roast. Yet, you can quickly customize it—just add your own seasonings or chopped chile peppers to give it an extra kick.
The roast can be shredded and used for sandwiches, or to fill corn or flour tortillas, enchiladas, or burritos. You can use your own homemade salsa (there is a recipe suggestion below), which will make the dish even better. If you're looking for a lighter salsa, give corn salsa with peppers recipe a try.
- 2 pounds boneless pork loin roast or trimmed boneless pork shoulder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- About 2 cups fresh tomato salsa, homemade or store-bought
- Place the roast in slow cooker. Sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and then cover with the salsa.
- Add any additional seasonings as desired. Cumin, chili powder, or a taco seasoning blend are nice options. Add finely chopped jalapeno peppers if you like extra spice.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until the roast is fork tender.
A Quick and Fresh Salsa To Try
In a bowl, combine 2 cups of chopped and seeded tomatoes with 1 clove of finely minced garlic.
Add a few tablespoons of chopped onion, 1 tablespoon of minced jalapeno pepper, 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro, and the juice of a small lime. Add salt and pepper to taste and blend everything together.
More Homecooked Pork Loin Ideas for Dinner
It can be easy to get stuck with the same pork loin recipe. You know your family loves it, so why mess with perfection, right? Even something as simple as a roast could use a little pizazz, though—here are a few easy and delicious pork loin recipe ideas.
- Oven barbecued pork loin—Make your own barbecue sauce for this roasted pork dish. It's easy and you probably have everything you need in your kitchen.
- Honey-bourbon glazed pork loin—An absolutely mouth-watering recipe, the glaze requires just five ingredients and the dish is ready in under two hours.
- Bacon-brown sugar glazed pork loin—Pork Loin gets the royal treatment in this recipe. It begins with a rub of common spices and is finished off with a wonderful glaze.
- Roasted pork loin with apricot sauce—Discover the joy of homemade apricot sauce served alongside a lightly seasoned roast.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|