|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 24g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|Total Sugars 19g|
|Vitamin C 15mg||75%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This el pepino recipe puts a fun spin on the traditional margarita. "Pepino" is Spanish for cucumber, and that is definitely the star ingredient here!
Created by Las Vegas mixologist Gaston Martinez, the recipe pours reposado tequila into a margarita, then adds cucumber, cilantro, and egg white to give it a cool, earthy flavor topped with a luscious foam. The result is a fantastic cucumber cocktail that you will want to make again and again.
Gather the ingredients.
Add the tequila, triple sec, lime juice, and egg white. Fill the shaker with ice.
Shake vigorously for at least 30 seconds to ensure the egg is properly mixed.
Garnish with a thin cucumber slice. Serve and enjoy.
Raw Egg Warning
Consuming raw and lightly-cooked eggs poses a risk for food-borne illness.
- The key to drinking cocktails with eggs is to ensure your egg is fresh. There's a quick test you can use: Place an egg in a glass of water and it's freshest when it sinks to the bottom. If your egg floats it's too old and should be discarded.
- Take it easy on the cilantro. It's a very flavorful herb and even a couple of extra leaves can overpower the drink. If you like, start with just four leaves and add more next time if needed.
- With all the fresh ingredients, this cocktail really deserves freshly squeezed lime juice. The average lime can yield up to 1 ounce of juice, so one fruit is generally all that's needed.
- To maximize the juice, warm the lime to room temperature and roll it under your palm on the countertop before cutting.
- Skip the egg white if you prefer.
- If you're not a fan of cilantro, replace it with oregano or basil.
- As seen in the spicy cucumber mint margarita, mint is a good match for cucumber as well. Though it's not as savory as the other herbs and will change the cocktail's overall taste, it is a good option for this recipe.
- Cucumber and chile peppers are an excellent pairing as well. Add a few slices of jalapeño to the muddle to give the margarita a spicy kick.