Ellen Zachos is a foraging expert, instructor, and food writer. She has written six books, including two on edible plants for food and cocktails.
- Food writer with two books on foraging and using edible plants
- Foraging instructor and workshop leader
Ellen Zachos is a former writer for The Spruce, contributing articles and recipes for almost two years. She is the author of six books on gardening, houseplants, and foraging. She leads foraging walks for private groups all over the country, teaches at the New York Botanical Garden, and lectures at garden shows and events around the world. She forages in the wilds of Central Park, the deserts of New Mexico, the mountains of Scotland, and the gorges of Greece. She especially enjoys teaching foraged mixology workshops to bartenders.
Ellen Zachos has a Bachelor of Arts degree from Harvard and earned multiple certificates in botany and horticulture at the New York Botanical Garden.
Awards and Publications
- Ellen Zachos has a regular foraging column in Edible New Mexico. She has also contributed to Taproot and the National Gardening Association Learning Library.
- "Backyard Foraging: 65 Familiar Plants You Didn't Know You Could Eat"
- "The Wildcrafted Cocktail"
About The Spruce Eats
The Spruce Eats, a Dotdash brand, is a food and drink website offering more than 15,000 tested recipes, 1,200 how-to videos, informative articles, trustworthy product recommendations, and the inspiration to help you make your best meal. Learn more about us and our editorial process.