Rip Esselstyn, author of The Engine 2 Diet calls this recipe the "Almighty Healthy Sandwich Wrap" and says:
Our very own Station 2 won the 2003 Austin Fire Department’s Healthy Wagon Contest with this very healthful and tasty lunch/dinner wrap. The judges included three experts—the Fire Department’s in-house health specialist, a local representative from the American Heart Association, and a member of the Mayor’s Council for Physical Fitness.
This vegetarian and vegan black bean and hummus sandwich wrap recipe is reprinted with permission from The Engine 2 Diet, by Rip Esselstyn.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- ½ can of corn, rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces roasted red bell pepper hummus (or 1 cup homemade)
- 2 large whole grain wraps
- ½ can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 roasted poblano pepper, cut into strips
- ½ package fresh spinach
- Pre-heat oven to 450 F.
- Sauté the onion until translucent. Add the bell pepper and cook for 2–3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and corn.
- Spread a layer of hummus on the wrap. Add the sautéed vegetables, beans, poblano strips, and fresh spinach. Roll into a burrito.
- Place on a baking sheet, seam side down, and bake for 8–10 minutes. Serve the wrap warm, and top with guacamole and salsa.
Makes two sandwich wraps.
Reprinted with permission from The Engine 2 Diet, by Rip Esselstyn
Each wrap provides approximately:
Calories: 293, Calories from Fat: 79
% Daily Value:
Total Fat: 8.8g, 14%, Saturated Fat: 1.0g, 5%
Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%
Sodium: 367mg, 15%
Total Carbohydrates: 42.8g, 14%
Dietary Fiber: 10.5g, 42%
Vitamin A 87%, Vitamin C 90%, Calcium 9%, Iron 24%