This old-fashioned layered casserole is economical and so easy to put together. It's an excellent way to "dress up" ordinary canned vegetables. Hard cooked eggs are layered with drained canned peas, cheese, and condensed soup. The crumbled cornbread topping is wonderful, but feel free to substitute soft fresh breadcrumbs or French fried onion crumbs.
Serve this easy side dish along with any main dish.
- 1 (15-ounce) can petite peas (drained)
- 3 eggs (hard-boiled, chopped)
- 6 ounces shredded cheese (cheddar or American)
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (or cream of celery)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 (2-ounce) jar pimiento (chopped, drained)
- 1 cup cornbread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Lightly butter a 2-quart casserole or spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
In the prepared casserole dish, layer the drained peas, boiled eggs, and shredded cheese.
Combine the cream of mushroom soup with the milk and chopped pimiento. Pour the soup mixture over the cheese layer.
In a bowl, toss the cornbread crumbs with the melted butter; sprinkle over top of casserole.
Bake the casserole in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.