The natural sweetness and beautiful color of English peas make them a great addition to pesto. This pesto is easy to make and a delicious and easy pasta addition.
Feel free to use cooked diced bacon in the dish or omit the ham for a vegetarian dish.
- 1 pound spaghetti or linguine
- 8 ounces finely diced ham
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or butter
- 1 cup frozen petite green peas, thawed or lightly cooked
- 3/4 cup packed torn basil leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, optional
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Cook spaghetti or linguine in boiling salted water following package directions. Drain.
Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium heat, lightly brown the ham in 2 teaspoons of olive oil or butter.
Meanwhile, for pesto, combine in a food processor the peas, basil, Parmesan cheese, garlic, and walnuts, if using. Run the food processor, adding olive oil a little at a time, until the mixture is finely chopped.
Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
Toss the diced ham and pesto with the hot pasta. Serve with more Parmesan cheese.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|