|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 122g||44%|
|Dietary Fiber 16g||58%|
|Total Sugars 80g|
|Vitamin C 331mg||1,654%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The espaloma is Tequila Espolon's take on the popular paloma cocktail. It's just as delightful as the original drink, it simply takes a different approach to the grapefruit flavor. You're sure to enjoy the fresh citrus taste against a really nice tequila and the cocktail is very easy to mix up.
In this recipe, grapefruit juice and lemon-lime soda are used to replace the grapefruit soda of the paloma. On top of that, a little lime and triple sec give it a margarita-like twist and bitters add to the drink's complex profile. It creates a very refreshing tequila highball that's perfect for summer sipping.
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, pour the tequila, lime and grapefruit juices, triple sec, and bitters.
Top with soda.
Garnish with a grapefruit or lime slice. Serve and enjoy.
- Either Espolon's reposado or blanco tequilas will create a great drink. However, you may enjoy the slight oaky flavor of the reposado just a little better.
- Fresh citrus juices are highly recommended. One lime should produce 1 ounce of juice, perfect for a single drink. Grapefruits typically yield 5 or 6 ounces, so you'll have more than enough for a few drinks.
- Ensure that the triple sec you pour is equal in quality to the tequila. Cointreau is one of the most popular premium options, and other types of orange liqueur, including curaçao, can be used as well.
- Switch back to grapefruit soda if you like. Squirt and Fanta are the most common options, though Izze, Jarritos, Q Drinks, and many other companies offer the flavor as well.
- Rather than aromatic bitters (Angostura), go all out on the citrus by accenting the drink with orange or grapefruit bitters instead.
- This is a great drink to mix up by the pitcher and serve at a cookout or other small gathering. Simply multiply the ingredients by the number of servings you need, keeping them in proportion. If you're making it up ahead of time to store in the refrigerator, hold the soda until you're ready to serve so it doesn't go flat. It can then be added to the pitcher or the individual glasses.
How Strong Is an Espaloma?
Like most tequilas, Espolon is bottled at 80 proof and the espaloma falls right in line with other juice and soda highballs, so it's relatively light. The drink's alcohol content will fall somewhere around 14 percent ABV (28 proof), or about the same as a glass of wine.