If you are a fan of "everything bagel" seasoning blends, you will love this easy homemade version. It's the perfect blend of white and black sesame seeds, dried minced onion and garlic, poppy seeds, and sea salt.
The seasoning blend not only adds big flavor to food — it also lends texture, color, and crunch. Sprinkle it over eggs, sandwich fillings, plain grilled meat or chicken, or a salad. It's also great on avocado toast and dips. See the tips below the recipe for a list of excellent ways to use everything bagel seasoning.
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried minced onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds (toasted or plain)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt flakes (or coarse kosher salt)
Gather the ingredients.
In a bowl, combine the seeds, salt, and seasonings. Mix to blend.
Transfer the bagel seasoning blend to a jar with a lid and store it in a cool, dark place.
- Sprinkle everything bagel seasoning over homemade bagels before they go into the oven.
- When making homemade yeast bread or dinner rolls, sprinkle the seasoning blend over an egg wash before baking.
- Add 2 tablespoons of everything bagel seasoning to your no-knead bread dough. Just before the bread goes into the oven, spritz it lightly with water and sprinkle the top of the loaf with a few teaspoons of the bagel seasoning.
- Rub the seasoning — along with some olive oil — over a beef roast, pork loin roast, or whole chicken before it goes into the oven.
- Mix a few teaspoons into a bowl of homemade creamy coleslaw.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of the seasoning blend with a few tablespoons of olive oil and toss with your favorite roasted vegetables. It's a great way to season roasted potatoes, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and root vegetables.
- Toss some everything bagel seasoning into your popcorn along with plenty of melted butter.
- When you make a homemade oil and vinegar salad dressing, add some bagel seasoning, to taste.
- Add a few teaspoons of bagel seasoning mixture to your favorite dip or hummus. It's a great addition to guacamole as well.
- For a quick homemade dip, combine equal amounts of mayonnaise and sour cream. Add 2 teaspoons of everything bagel seasoning to each 1/2 cup of the dip mixture. Chill the dip for a few hours to give the flavors time to meld. Turn the dip into a delicious mix by thinning it with some olive oil and a bit of vinegar or lemon juice.
- Add a tablespoon or two of bagel seasoning to an Asian-style stir-fry.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of everything bagel seasoning into your homemade biscuit dough.
- Add color and crunch to the breadcrumb topping on your baked mac and cheese or vegetable casserole with a sprinkling of bagel seasoning.