Comforting, savory meatballs are always a hit at the family dinner table. Serve these well-seasoned meatballs with their gravy and hot cooked noodles or rice.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup bell pepper (
- finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (or bacon drippings, or shortening)
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons flour mixed with 2 tablespoons of water
- In a large bowl combine ground beef and ground pork with the milk, egg, bread crumbs, chopped onion, bell pepper, ketchup, parsley, salt, and pepper. Shape into large meatballs, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Put the meatballs in a container; cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat, heat the oil. Brown the meatballs, turning carefully to brown all sides. When the meatballs are firm and well browned, add the beef broth. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 45 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through.
- With a slotted spoon, remove meatballs to a warm bowl or platter and keep warm.
- For gravy, add the flour and water mixture to the drippings. Cook, stirring, until thickened.
Serve the meatballs and gravy with noodles or mashed potatoes.
You Might Also Like
Spiced Appetizer Meatballs
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|