This flavorful tuna casserole is a family-pleaser you'll make again and again. Serve this casserole with a tossed salad for a perfect meal any day of the week.
I used shredded cheddar cheese in the pictured casserole. Feel free to use a cheddar jack blend or half American process cheese if you'd like.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 can (about 7 to 8 ounces) tuna (drained, or 2 small cans)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat the oven to 350 F. Butter a 2-quart casserole.
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water according to package directions until tender, drain and rinse.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven; add chopped onions and bell pepper and sauté over low heat for about 3 to 4 minutes, until tender.
- Add flour, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring, for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add milk and condensed soup and stir over low heat until the sauce is smooth and thickened.
- Add cooked drained macaroni, flaked tuna, peas, and about half of the cheese to sauce mixture, stirring constantly.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole; top with remaining cheese and then top with the buttered breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the crumb topping is nicely browned.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||46 g|
|Saturated Fat||26 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|