|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This flavorful tuna casserole is a family-pleaser you'll make again and again. Serve this casserole with a tossed salad for a perfect meal any day of the week.
I used shredded cheddar cheese in the pictured casserole. Feel free to use a cheddar jack blend or half American process cheese if you'd like.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 can (about 7 to 8 ounces) tuna (drained, or 2 small cans)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
Heat the oven to 350 F. Butter a 2-quart casserole.
Cook macaroni in boiling salted water according to package directions until tender, drain and rinse.
Melt butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven; add chopped onions and bell pepper and sauté over low heat for about 3 to 4 minutes, until tender.
Add flour, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring, for about 1 to 2 minutes.
Add milk and condensed soup and stir over low heat until the sauce is smooth and thickened.
Add cooked drained macaroni, flaked tuna, peas, and about half of the cheese to sauce mixture, stirring constantly.
Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole; top with remaining cheese and then top with the buttered breadcrumbs.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the crumb topping is nicely browned.
You Might Also Like