This light and fluffy bread was created specifically to eat with horchata de chufa, the traditional drink of Valencia, made from tigernuts. They are long, cigar-shaped sweet breads, to be dunked in the horchata.
- 3 1/2 fl oz water
- 1/4 oz dry double active yeast
- 4 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1/2 oz vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- For the Glaze:
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 3/4 fl oz lukewarm water
- Heat the water to lukewarm to warm, not hot, and pour into a warm glass measuring up. Dissolve the yeast in the water, stirring until yeast has been completely absorbed by the water.
- Pour flour into a large mixing bowl, and stir in the yeast mixture. Add the sugar and the eggs and mix well with an electric mixer on medium speed. If it becomes too thick, use a wooden spoon. Add the vegetable oil and the salt while continuing to mix. Knead until the dough is mixed well.
- Form dough into a ball, and cover the bowl with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap. Leave the bowl in a warm spot in the kitchen, out of drafts. Allow the dough to rise until it doubles in size, about 2 hours.
- Once the dough has risen, it is ready to roll out into the form of the fartons, and bake. Heat the oven to 360F.
- Dust a board with flour, and grease a cookie sheet with butter or vegetable shortening. Pinch off a piece of dough and roll into a ball with your hands. Roll out the ball into a long, cigar-shaped piece. Place them on the greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in the center rack of hot oven for 15-18 minutes, or when they are golden on top.
- While the fartons are baking, prepare the glaze. Measure the powdered sugar into a small mixing bowl and add the lukewarm water, stirring with a wire whip. The glaze should be a thick, white syrup.
- While the fartons are still warm, brush each with the glaze. Serve warm with a glass of horchata de chufa.
More Traditional Cookies and Pastries
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||34 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||22 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|