Fasulia really hits the spot on cold, winter days. The spices used really compliment the green beans and meat used. You can use stew beef or lamb in this recipe, either one is good. I prefer using beef because it makes it easier and less time consuming if you buy it already chopped in the supermarket.
- 1 pound stew meat (lamb or beef)
- 1 pound frozen or fresh green beans
- 16 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 4 ounces canned tomato puree
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 8 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large saucepan, brown meat with olive oil. Add onions and garlic.
- Add crushed tomatoes, stirring well with meat, garlic, and onion. Add cumin, coriander, salt and pepper, and allspice. Add water and tomato puree. Stir and combine well.
- Add green beans and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours, or until meat is tender and done.
- The sauce should thicken as it cooks. If it does not, add 1/2 cup all purpose flour.
- Serve with white rice and a salad.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||29 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|