Looking for the perfect vegetarian cabbage soup recipe to try? This one is a fat-free vegan and vegetarian soup recipe that is also very low in calories with just 72 calories and less than one gram of naturally occurring fat per serving (but watch those serving sizes, of course!)
This healthy cabbage soup recipe is made with nothing more than cabbage, onions, garlic, vegetable broth and salt and pepper, and it gets plenty of flavor from a bit of hot sauce and some fresh chopped cilantro. Be sure to use fresh cilantro (and not dried), as this simple cabbage soup isn't the same without it. Similarly, use a nice flavorful vegetable broth, as there's not a lot of additional added flavors. Here's how to make a homemade vegetable broth.
Several studies demonstrate that having a pureed low-calorie soup before a meal will naturally help you consume fewer calories overall, can help with weight loss, and just as importantly, low-calorie and blended soups such as this one can help you feel full longer, which can help in keeping your weight off once you've lost it.
Looking for more low-calorie and fat-free vegan soups to fill up on to help with your weight loss or diet goals? Here are nine more fat-free vegan soup recipes to try.
- 1 pound cabbage (chopped)
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Dash salt (or to taste)
- Dash pepper (or to taste)
- Dash Tabasco (or hot sauce, to taste)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Combine the chopped cabbage, chopped onions, minced garlic, vegetable broth, Tabasco or hot sauce and a bit of salt and pepper in a large saucepan. Allow to simmer, covered, over medium-low heat for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After twenty minutes, carefully transfer half of the soup to a blender or food processor and process it all together until smooth. Or, you can also use an immersion blender to process the soup just until it is about halfway blended. Of course, you can always process it a little bit more or less, depending on your own personal preference and how you like your soup.
- If you've used the non-immersion blender method, return the blended portion of the soup back to the pan and reheat as needed.
- Stir in the fresh chopped cilantro just before serving, and then give it a quick taste, then add additional salt, pepper and hot sauce, to taste.
Looking for more low-calorie and fat-free vegan soups to try? Here's nine more fat-free vegan soup recipes to try.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|