Tofu probably is not the first thing that comes to mind when you think dessert (but it should be! Check out these great vegan tofu-based desserts!). But with a mild flavor and texture that lends itself well to thickening, tofu frosting can be a great alternative to super sugary, dairy based frostings that are usually used on cakes.
This is a creamy vegan tofu frosting recipe made with tofu as a base and with a reduced amount of sugar to keep it a bit healthier. Plus, it's nearly fat-free, since there's no margarine or butter used. No cooking is needed; just add all the ingredients to a blender and puree. You can also add a bit of food coloring and flavor extracts to make different colors and flavors. Try a drop of green food coloring with some mint extract, for example.
- 1 pound (silken) tofu (patted dry)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the silken tofu, lemon juice, powdered sugar and vanilla in a blender or food processor.
- Puree until very smooth.
Use to frost your favorite vegan cake or cupcake. Enjoy!
- Silken tofu also called soft tofu, silk tofu or Japanese-style tofu, has a softer consistency than regular tofu, which is why it is often used to thicken sauces, desserts and dressings. It usually falls apart easily, and is sometimes packaged in boxes that do not require refrigeration. Regular tofu is packed in water and requires refrigeration, so these two types of tofu are often sold in different parts of the store. So don't be alarmed if you can't find silken tofu in the refrigerator where you normally purchase your tofu.
- You can also play around with using different types of sweetener, such as maple syrup, to make your tofu frosting. Once you have the base, the possibilities are truly endless.
- Tofu is a nutrient-rich food, so this tofu frosting actually packs a healthy punch. A half a cup of tofu contains 10 grams of protein, 11 percent of the recommended daily amount of iron and all eight essential amino acids, among other important nutrients.
Are you looking for more vegan frosting recipes? There's a flavor for every cake you want to bake.
Sugar-Free Vegan Chocolate Frosting
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
Sugar-Free Vanilla Frosting Recipe
Easy Vegan Vanilla Frosting
Easy Vegan Chocolate Frosting
Recipe adapted with permission from The Compassionate Cook Cookbook.
University of Toronto Food Services. (2015, May 21). Awesome things about tofu. Retrieved December 4, 2016, from Favourite Foods, https://ueat.utoronto.ca/10-awesome-things-about-tofu/
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|