This easy crock pot chili recipe is made with coarsely ground beef and beans. Kidney beans are called for, but you could use small red beans in this chili. Feel free to modify the basic recipe to suit your taste. Add more spices, use tomatoes with green chile peppers, or replace some of the beef with lean ground pork.
- 2 pounds coarsely ground beef round or chuck
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 (15 oz.) cans red kidney beans, drained
- 2 (14 1/2 oz.) cans tomatoes, drained
- 1 green pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 to 3 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt, to taste
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef with the chopped onion.
- Put the ground beef, onions, and other ingredients in a 3 1/2 to 5-quart slow cooker. Stir well. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Serves 8.
Tips and Variations
- Replace one can of tomatoes with a can of diced tomatoes with green chile peppers (such as Ro-Tel).
- Add a few tablespoons of finely chopped jalapeno peppers to the chili.
- Kick it up with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes.
You Might Also Like
More Chili Recipes
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||23 g|