|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||28%|
|Total Carbohydrate 80g||29%|
|Dietary Fiber 23g||84%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This easy crockpot chili recipe is made with coarsely ground beef and beans. Kidney beans are called for, but you could use small red beans in this chili. Feel free to modify the basic recipe to suit your taste. Add more spices, use tomatoes with green chile peppers, or replace some of the beef with lean ground pork.
- 2 pounds coarsely ground beef round or chuck
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 (15 oz.) cans red kidney beans, drained
- 2 (14 1/2 oz.) cans tomatoes, drained
- 1 green pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 to 3 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt, to taste
In a large skillet, brown ground beef with the chopped onion.
Put the browned ground beef, onions, and the remaining ingredients in a 3 1/2 to 5-quart slow cooker. Stir well.
Cover the pot and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
If you want your chili right away, consider the Instant Pot. Brown the ground beef and onion on the Instant Pot sauté setting and add the remaining ingredients. Ensure the vent is on "sealing." Choose the manual setting, high pressure, and set the time for 25 minutes.
- Replace one can of tomatoes with a can of diced tomatoes with green chile peppers (such as Ro-Tel).
- Add a few tablespoons of finely chopped jalapeno peppers to the chili.
- Kick it up with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes.