|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 19g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||19%|
|Total Carbohydrate 30g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|
|Total Sugars 4g|
|Vitamin C 3mg||13%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Chicken salad is an ultimate favorite, and there are many variations out there for this salad. This chicken salad with red onion recipe has a little twist to it, as we use sweet bell pepper relish and Cajun or Creole seasoning blend to add a little zing. While this recipe makes six to eight sandwiches, it can easily be scaled to make less or more, if needed.
This is a great way to use up any leftover or rotisserie chicken, and you can also add your own touch to the chicken salad. Toss in some sunflower seeds, or diced up apples for additional crunch and flavor. Sprinkle on some Sriracha or Tabasco sauce for even more of a zing.
The perfect sandwich for a warm summer day, this chicken salad works well to take on backyard gatherings or picnics in the park with family and friends. Let the kids join in and help you by putting the chicken salad on the bread to make the sandwiches.
Great to eat on its own, with crackers, on a bed of romaine lettuce, on sandwich rolls, or your favorite type of bread, this chicken salad with onion is sure to become a favorite. Serve it with some chips or fresh fruit for lunch or a light dinner.
2 1/2 to 3 cups cooked diced chicken
1/2 cup diced celery
3 to 4 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
1/4 to 1/2 cup mayonnaise, or to taste
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 to 3 teaspoons sweet pepper relish, or to taste
Cajun or Creole seasoning blend, optional
Kosher salt, to taste
12 to 16 slices of bread, or 6 to 8 sandwich rolls
Gather the ingredients.
Combine chicken with celery, onion, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, lemon juice, pepper, relish, Cajun or Creole seasoning, and salt.
Add more mayonnaise as needed.
Fill sliced bread or sandwich rolls with mixture.
- Chicken salad is also great to eat on a bed of lettuce with some sliced tomatoes, with some crackers, or all by itself.
- Chicken salad is a great way to use up any leftover or rotisserie chicken.
- While we use sweet bell pepper relish, feel free to use sweet pickle relish or a dill pickle relish. Either one will give the salad a nice flavor.
- Use plain Greek yogurt in place of half of the mayonnaise.
- Use cooked red or sweet onion instead of raw.
- Add in some diced apples for more of a crunchy sweet taste.
- Toss in some sunflower seeds.
- For even more spice, sprinkle on or mix in some Sriracha or Tabasco sauce.
How to Store
Homemade chicken salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to five days.