|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Pecans and a variety of dried and candied fruits make these delicious fruitcake bars festive, moist, and delicious. The brown sugar and spices add just the right amount of flavor to the buttery cake batter.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour( 6 3/4 ounces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or bourbon vanilla)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice (ground)
- 1 1/2 cups candied fruits and peels (mixed, about 12 ounces total, Buy Candied Fruit from Amazon)
- 1 cup pecans (chopped)
- 8 ounces dates (chopped)
- Zest of one lemon
Heat oven to 350°.
Grease and flour a 15-by-10-inch jelly roll pan (Buy a Jelly Roll Pan from Amazon).
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugars, milk, butter, eggs, vanilla, baking powder, and spices. With mixer at low speed, beat ingredients just until blended. Increase speed to high and beat for 3 minutes, scraping the bottom and sides of bowl occasionally.
Using a wooden spoon or spatula, fold in candied fruits and peels, pecans, dates, and lemon zest.
Spread batter into prepared jelly roll pan.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center of the cake comes out clean. The top will spring back when lightly touched with finger.
Cool in the pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.
Store the bars in a tightly covered container for up to 1 week.