This quick Feta Cheese Vinaigrette is perfect on hearty salad greens, drizzled over grilled vegetables, or even as a sauce for broiled or grilled chicken. Feel free to add crumbled or minced herbs to this dressing - oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary are all a good fit and make it a new dressing every time.
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Whirl the feta cheese, olive oil, and red wine vinegar in a blender or food processor until smooth. Alternatively, put the feta and 1 tablespoon of the oil in a small bowl and use a fork to mash it into a paste. Work the remaining olive oil into the cheese 1 tablespoon at a time. Then stir in the vinegar.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Roughly ground or cracked black pepper is excellent in this dressing: the pungency of the pepper and the saltiness of the cheese are a match made in heaven.
The vinaigrette will keep, covered and chilled, for up to a week.
- Add a small clove of peeled, minced garlic to the mix.
- Change it up with herbs: Use about 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or thyme, 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, or 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil to make a different dressing every time. Fresh dill (1 to 2 tablespoons) is lovely, too, especially if the dressing will be getting anywhere near cucumbers.
- Try white wine or champagne vinegar instead of red wine vinegar. Sherry vinegar adds an even more intense depth, while lemon juice will keep the dressing bright.
- Tame the intense flavor of this dressing by adding more olive oil or stirring in up to 1/4 cup heavy cream.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|