No cooking required for this quick and easy feta appetizer! Feta is a great cheese to always keep in your refrigerator because it can easily be turned into a lovely appetizer or snack. Buy whole chunks of feta, instead of crumbled, for better flavor and presentation.
Fresh or dried herbs (or spices) can be used to flavor the feta, although in most cases fresh herbs have more flavor. An exception is which is always nice sprinkled over feta (or goat cheese). Serve this feta with slices of baguette or your favorite bread, plus olives and cured meat.
Ideas for Fresh and Dried Herbs
Use one, or several, types of herbs on the cheese. Fresh parsley, thyme, and oregano are especially nice. Basil works well. Or, try a small amount of fresh mint. After , dried dill is my favorite dried herb.
How Long Does Feta Stay Fresh?
Feta stays fresh in your refrigerator for a long time, especially when kept in liquid (water, plus a little salt, works just fine). If the feta has gone bad, it will smell and taste off, in a sour sort of way. I've kept feta in my fridge for weeks, and it hasn't gone bad. Ideally, however, buy smaller portions that you'll use within 2 weeks.
- 1/2 lb. feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs (finely chopped or dried herbs and/or spices, see below)
- Optional: 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Place feta on a medium-sized plate or serving platter.
- Drizzle olive oil over the top.
- Sprinkle the herbs and red pepper flakes on the feta.
- If you use fresh herbs, you can garnish the plate with leftover springs of herbs. Serve with a sliced baguette or crackers.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|