A meaty ham bone flavors these comforting field peas. Use dried field peas or black-eyed peas in this recipe, and be sure to bake a fresh pan of cornbread for serving!
- 1 pound dried field peas or black-eyed peas
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 1 large onion (chopped, about 1 cup)
- 1 to 2 ribs celery (thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Cajun (or Creole) seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- Dash salt (or to taste)
- Dash pepper (or to taste)
- 6 cups hot cooked rice
- 1/2 cup green onions (sliced, for garnish)
- Rinse, pick over, and simmer field peas in water until tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Rinse and drain the peas. In slow cooker combine peas with ham bone, onion, celery and garlic.
- Add 1 cup water or broth. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours.
- Add Cajun seasoning, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue cooking for 1 to 2 hours longer.
- Serve with hot cooked rice and sprinkle with sliced green onion, if desired.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g|