Fig season means these adorable fruits will be available for impromptu snacking and adding pizzazz to our dinner tables for a brief time during the early part of summer and then once again during late summer through autumn.
This salad is a lovely blend of full fig flavor and late summertime goodness—stuffed into pies, tarts, jams and figgy puddings.
- 115 grams kale (about 3 cups packed, stems removed and cut into large bite-sized bits)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 carrot (shredded)
- 1 small yellow zucchini (diced)
- 2 cups leaves (mixed greens, etc. of choice: curly endive, arugula, spinach)
- 8 fresh figs (your favorite variety, cut into wedges)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
Gather the ingredients.
Rinse and dry the kale, carrot, zucchini, greens, and figs, and prepare according to the ingredient list.
Place the kale into a large bowl and add the lemon juice, avocado, and sea salt. Using very clean hands, massage the ingredients together until kale is wilted and avocado and salt have been evenly distributed.
Toss in the shredded carrot and zucchini and then add the 2 cups mixed greens leaves. Gently fold in the figs with the flaxseed as well as the rest of the ingredients and eat immediately.
This salad makes a stunning addition to a summertime potluck or dinner party plate.
- When purchasing figs, try and buy them only if you plan on eating (or dehydrating) them right away.
- Seek out fully ripened figs that give to gentle pressure with your thumb. Slightly wrinkled skin and small cracks are perfectly fine, but avoid any fruit that is too soft, seeping or oozing.