This is a colorful, festive-looking dessert that is simple to prepare, using fresh figs in a sauce of brandy and syrup. Easily prepared ahead of time and set aside, it makes a dramatic finish to any dinner.
Note re: Preparation Time: Preparation time includes 1 hour for marinating the figs in brandy and sauce after cooking.
- Rinse figs and place in a large pot. Combine the sugar with 2 cups (16 oz) of water and dissolve the sugar. Add the sugar and water mixture to the pot. Add more water if necessary, to cover the figs. Heat on medium to medium-high until the water begins to boil. Reduce the heat. Allow to simmer until the liquid is reduced to a thick syrup, approximately 20-30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Grate the orange zest. In a small saucepan, place the ground cinnamon, orange zest, brandy, and sherry. Heat on low and slowly bring to a boil. Stir to mix well, then remove from heat.
- Carefully remove the figs from the pot one by one, using tongs if needed. Place in a large open serving dish or bowl, or place on individual serving plates. Reserve the syrup. Pour the brandy sauce over the figs. Drizzle 4-6 serving spoonfuls of the syrup over the figs.
- Allow figs to cool (outside of refrigerator), marinating in a pool of the sauce for at least an hour before serving.
- If you will serve with almonds and whipped cream, add a dollop of whipped cream to each plate just before serving. Sprinkle almond slivers on top.