|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serves 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 21g||27%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||24%|
|Total Carbohydrate 18g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This potato salad might look simple, but it isn't short on flavor. Fingerling potatoes have a creamy texture, making them an excellent choice for salads. Red onion gives the mixture a pop of color, while cucumber adds refreshing flavor. A flavorful sour cream and mayonnaise dressing completes the salad perfectly.
Feel free to customize the salad if you like. Add some chopped chives, dill, or thyme leaves, or add some shredded carrots for more color. You might also use a mixture of red, white, and purple fingerling potatoes in the salad. Or, instead of boiling the potatoes, make it with roasted fingerlings.
- 1 1/2 pounds fingerling potatoes (scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- Kosher salt
- 4 large eggs (hard-boiled)
- 1/2 cup red onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (or more, as needed for moisture)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Put potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Add about 1 teaspoon of kosher salt for each quart of water. Bring the potatoes to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover the pan. Simmer the potatoes for about 15 minutes, or just until the chunks are fork-tender. Drain and set them aside to cool.
Chop the hard-boiled eggs and put them in a large serving bowl.
Add the chopped red onion and celery to the eggs.
Peel the cucumber and slice it in half lengthwise. Scrape the seeds out with a spoon and then dice the cucumber. Add the diced cucumber to the bowl with the vegetables and eggs.
Add the cooled potatoes to the bowl with the vegetables.
In another bowl, combine the sour cream, 3/4 cup of mayonnaise, and about 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoons of salt and the pepper; stir to blend.
Add the dressing mixture to the potato mixture and toss gently to blend and coat with the dressing. Add more mayonnaise, if needed, to taste.
- For additional color, add some shredded carrot or finely chopped red bell pepper to the salad.
- For a tangier dressing, add a bit of lemon juice or white vinegar, or add a few teaspoons of dill relish or sweet pickle relish.
- If you don't have fingerling potatoes, use waxy potatoes, such as red-skinned, creamers, or new.