|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 30g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 13g|
|Vitamin C 47mg||235%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The firefly is an easy and delightful cocktail that may quickly become a favorite. To make it, you will take the vodka and grapefruit combination found in the popular greyhound cocktail and add the sweet syrup that is grenadine.
The grenadine has two functions in this drink: to balance out the tartness of the grapefruit and to give it a beautiful pink hue with the progressive effect of a tequila sunrise. The drink is as delightful for brunch as it is for an afternoon on the patio or late evening when the fireflies come out.
- 2 ounces vodka
- 4 ounces grapefruit juice
- 1 ounce grenadine
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the vodka and grapefruit juice into a highball glass filled with ice.
Add the grenadine and allow it to float up from the bottom, stirring it in whenever you like.
Serve and enjoy!
- As with any citrus cocktail, fresh-squeezed juice will create the best drink. To get the most juice out of grapefruit, warm it up to room temperature. Then give it a little abuse by pressing it against the counter. Now cut it and squeeze it with a manual juicer or reamer. A typical grapefruit will produce 3/4 cup or 5 to 6 ounces of juice.
- You can make homemade grenadine in several ways. Pomegranate juice is readily available, or you can even use fresh pomegranates. Homemade grenadine lacks the preservatives found in commercial products, so it will only keep for about three weeks.
- While you don't have to use your best vodka for the firefly. Aim for a smooth middle-ground vodka rather than the cheapest.
- Though it doesn't call for a garnish, adding a slice of citrus fruit will dress up the drink. Grapefruit is the best choice, but a lemon or lime slice will work just as well.
- This is an excellent drink to make by the pitcher. Simply mix up the vodka and grapefruit juice, increasing them in proportion to the number of servings you need. When you're ready to serve, pour it over ice in tall glasses and add the grenadine.
- You may want to play with flavored vodkas in the firefly. While citrus vodka seems like an obvious choice, try one that will add a bit more contrast like strawberry, raspberry, or pineapple.
- Grapefruit and spice are perfect flavor companions, so you may even want to try this with a homemade hot pepper-infused vodka. Just take care to balance the pepper and remember that these infusions take hours, not days.
How Strong Is a Firefly?
Most of this drink's volume is made up of nonalcoholic mixers, so it's a delightfully light drink. When mixed with an 80-proof vodka, it should weigh in somewhere around 10 percent ABV (20 proof), so it's a lot like drinking a glass of wine.