This chocolate cake is a quick and easy preparation, and it can be baked as a rectangular single layer cake or a 2- or 3-layer cake.
Use a purchased or homemade frosting for the cake.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, 8 ounces
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4). Grease and flour a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan, two 9-inch layer cake pans, or three 8-inch layer cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, soda, and salt; stir or whisk to blend thoroughly. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Using a spoon, stir in boiling water until blended.
- Pour the thin batter into the prepared baking pan(s).
- Bake for about 35 minutes for a rectangular cake or 30 to 35 minutes for layers. A wooden pick inserted in center should come out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pan on rack then remove from pan and cool completely.
- Frost as desired.
- Cake is shown with creamy butter frosting.
*Use a neutral flavor oil, such as canola, safflower, or grapeseed.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|