This is an easy vegan pie crust recipe made with margarine and oil, instead of Crisco or solid shortening. And since it has just a tiny touch of sugar, this vegan pie crust recipe is indeed perfect for both savory pies and sweet dessert pies. This vegan pie crust recipe is so simple it's practically fool-proof, and, chances are, you probably already have all the necessary ingredients sitting at home in your cupboard.
Along with this basic homemade vegan pie crust recipe (made from nothing more than flour, shortening, water and salt) you might also want to try a simple vegan granola pie crust.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons water (cold)
- Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the vegan margarine, mixing until crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil and water, then add to the flour and sugar mixture, mixing just until dough forms. You may want to use your (clean) hands at this stage, in order to make sure all the flour gets incorporated well.
- Once the dough pulls together and there's no extra flour, cover the dough with plastic wrap, then chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll out onto a lightly floured surface to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Once your dough is rolled out, gently press it into a pie tin, trimming any extra bits along the edges.
- Your perfect flaky vegan pie crust is now ready to be filled up with whatever amazing ingredients you have planned.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|