This is a classic Spanish-style chicken and rice recipe made with chicken parts, rice, saffron, garlic, and other vegetables and seasonings. The recipe is a classic in many Latin American countries, and it is a popular dish in Florida.
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken, about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds, cut into serving pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (15 ounce) tomatoes, diced, drained
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, low sodium preferred
- 8 saffron threads
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
Sprinkle the chicken pieces lightly with 1 teaspoon of salt and the ground paprika.
Add the onion, red bell pepper, and tomatoes to the skillet. Saute until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 1 to 2 minutes longer.
Add the hot pepper sauce and the rice. Saute for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until the rice is well coated with the fat.
Add the broth to the pan and bring to a boil; crumble the saffron threads over the mixture. Add the chicken pieces to the rice. Cover the pan and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Stir occasionally.
Stir the rice and add the peas. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes longer.
Taste and adjust seasonings with more salt or hot sauce, as needed.
Serve hot with a green salad.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||36 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|