- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1/3 cup melted shortening
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or milk
- 1 8-ounce can cream-style corn
- 1 4-ounce can green chile peppers (chopped)
- 1/4 cup jalapeno peppers (minced, or as desired)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Preheat the oven to 425 F (220 C/Gas 7).
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cornmeal, melted shortening, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In another bowl whisk the eggs with the buttermilk. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix just until blended. Add the cream-style corn and mild chile peppers, along with minced jalapeno peppers, if using; stir to blend.
- Pour half of mixture into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese over the batter.
- Spoon remaining batter over the cheese layer and then top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until set and lightly browned around the edges.
Tips and Variations
- Have the oven preheated and the baking pan ready before you mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.
- For a crustier cornbread, use a cast iron skillet, greased with shortening. Heat the skillet in the oven and then add the cornbread batter to the hot skillet.
- Use a blend of cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, or a Mexican blend, with or without hot peppers.
- Add 4 strips of cooked and crumbled bacon to the batter, or add it to the first layer of shredded cheese.
- Add about 1/2 cup of cooked and crumbled fresh chorizo sausage or mild sweet Italian sausage along with the first layer of shredded cheese.
- For extra color and texture, add about 1/2 to 1 cup of cooked and drained corn kernels.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|