|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||17%|
|Total Carbohydrate 17g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||5%|
|Total Sugars 2g|
|Vitamin C 20mg||98%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Mexican cornbread is always a favorite, and it is wonderful with a hearty chili or beans.
This version is a moist cornbread made with shredded cheddar cheese and mild green chile peppers, but feel free to add some jalapeño peppers if you want some heat.
2 cups cornmeal
1/3 cup shortening, melted
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup buttermilk, or milk
1 (8-ounce) can cream-style corn
1 (4-ounce) can green chile peppers, chopped
1/4 cup jalapeño peppers, minced, to taste
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 425 F / 220 C / Gas 7.
Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
In a large mixing bowl combine the cornmeal, melted shortening, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
In another bowl whisk the eggs with the buttermilk. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix just until blended. Add the cream-style corn and mild chile peppers, along with minced jalapeño peppers, if using; stir to blend.
Pour half of the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese over the batter.
Spoon remaining batter over the cheese layer and then top with the remaining cheese.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until set and lightly browned around the edges.
Serve and enjoy.
- For a crustier cornbread, use a cast-iron skillet, greased with shortening. Heat the skillet in the oven and then add the cornbread batter to the hot skillet.
- Use a blend of cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, or a Mexican blend, with or without hot peppers.
- Add 4 strips of cooked and crumbled bacon to the batter, or add it to the first layer of shredded cheese.
- Add about 1/2 cup of cooked and crumbled fresh chorizo sausage or mild sweet Italian sausage along with the first layer of shredded cheese.
- For extra color and texture, add about 1/2 to 1 cup of cooked and drained corn kernels.