|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serves 8 to 10|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 16g||21%|
|Saturated Fat 10g||48%|
|Total Carbohydrate 32g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||9%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This excellent Flourless Chocolate Cake is perfect to serve at Passover, or to guests who can't eat wheat! It's also a great dessert for everyone else. The texture is rich and fudgy and the perfect consistency.
The brown sugar in the cake adds a hint of caramel and smokiness to the cake. You can make this cake with all granulated sugar if you'd like.
Watch the cake carefully when it's baking. You don't want it to over bake. It should be soft and just set when done. It will solidify more as it chills in the refrigerator.
Enjoy this wonderful cake on a special occasion, or think about making it just as a boost in the middle of a busy week.
- 4 (1-ounce) squares semisweet chocolate (chopped)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Gather the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 300 F. Using solid shortening, grease an 8" springform pan and dust with cocoa; set aside. You can wrap the pan in heavy duty foil if you'd like; that will help shield the batter more from the heat of the oven.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl on medium power, stirring once, until melted, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa, eggs, salt, and vanilla and mix well. Do not overbeat; this is a fudgy cake and it shouldn't rise much while baking.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 300 F for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cake just barely springs back when touched lightly in the center. The cake will not be completely set.
- Cool on a wire rack. Then run a sharp knife around the sides of the pan to release the cake. Gently unlock the spring on the pan and remove the sides. Cover the cake and chill thoroughly, for at least 4 to 6 hours, before serving. Slice the cake into thin wedges and serve with whipped cream, vanilla or chocolate ice cream, or hot fudge sauce.
- Top this recipe with some whipped cream. If you'd like, make the whipped cream chocolate for a totally decadent experience! Combine 1 cup heavy cream with 1/3 cup powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons cocoa powder. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and beat until stiff. I'd also drizzle this cake with some hot fudge sauce just before serving.