|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||16%|
|Total Carbohydrate 22g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This is a delicious cream cheese frosting with a caramel flavor, and it's super easy to prepare. Taking less than 15 minutes to make and only 5 ingredients, including caramel sauce and cream cheese, this frosting is so creamy and fluffy.
Cream cheese comes in bricks or tubs. To achieve the best consistency in this frosting use full-fat, brick-style cream cheese.
This is a great frosting to use during the fall season and is a luscious topping for a pumpkin cake or cupcakes, or use it to frost a spice cake or carrot cake. It's wonderful on chocolate cupcakes, or as a filler too.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup purchased thick caramel sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
Gather the ingredients.
Beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy. Add the caramel sauce and vanilla; beat until well blended. Add 3 1/2 cups of confectioners' sugar and beat on low speed until blended. Add more confectioners' sugar, if needed. Increase mixer speed and beat on high speed for 2 minutes.
- This recipe is easily halved if you want to frost a small 1-layer cake, a loaf cake, or a dozen cupcakes.
- Beat the frosting for 10 minutes or longer for a super smooth and satiny texture.
- If frosting is too thick to spread or pipe, thin with milk or cream, beating in about 1 teaspoon at a time until you get the desired consistency.
How to Store Cake or Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Cakes or cupcakes that have cream cheese frosting on them should be kept refrigerated and should be eaten within two to three days. Before serving, take out of the refrigerator, and let sit on the counter for an hour.
You can freeze cakes or cupcakes in a freezer-safe airtight container for up to one month.
Tips for Decorating without Piping
There are many ways you can decorate and create special effects without using a piping bag:
- Swirl with a spoon to make waves and peaks.
- Draw a small spatula or butter knife through the frosting in a zigzag pattern.
- Smooth the frosting with a wet knife, then run a fork over the icing to make ridges.
- Frost then drizzle with melted semisweet chocolate. Refrigerate until the drizzle sets.