|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 16 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 10g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||24%|
|Total Carbohydrate 17g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This flavorful frosting is quick and easy to make, with butter, milk, cocoa, and sugar, and it is not overly sweet. It's a nice frosting to make for cupcakes or a layer cake. Fill a layer cake with jam or whipped cream and cover the top and sides with this cocoa frosting.
The frosting is thickened with a flour and milk mixture, which makes it less sweet than a typical powdered sugar frosting. Make sure you beat it long enough to dissolve the sugar or the frosting will be grainy.
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons shortening
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Gather the ingredients.
- Combine the milk and flour in a saucepan and whisk to blend. Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and shortening with the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in cocoa and vanilla. Add the completely cooled flour and milk mixture. Beat until fluffy and sugar has dissolved, about 4 to 6 minutes.
This recipe makes enough frosting for a sheet cake or the top and sides a two layer cake.