Fondant Easter Eggs are a beautiful, delicious homemade Easter candy. They contain a special surprise inside the chocolate-dipped egg: a realistic candy “yolk” encased in creamy white fondant! This recipe yields 18 generous eggs, but you can make smaller eggs for a larger yield and a more dainty candy.
- 1 stick butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup condensed milk
- 5 to 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 bottle yellow food coloring (as needed)
- 1 pound chocolate candy coating
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil.
- Combine the butter, condensed milk, salt, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium until smooth and well-combined, about 3 minutes.
- Gradually add in 5 cups of powdered sugar in several additions, beating until creamy and smooth. The texture should be firm enough to handle, but not crumbly or too stiff. Add more powdered sugar if necessary, to achieve the desired consistency.
- Remove 3/4 of the mixture from the bowl, and add yellow food coloring to the remaining mixture to represent the yolks, beating until it is a uniform color.
- Take a teaspoon-sized amount of yellow candy and roll it into a ball. Roll a larger ball of white candy and flatten it in your palm. Place the yellow “yolk” in the center of the egg “white,” and wrap the white around the yellow ball. Form into an egg shape, and place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining candy until you have used all of your white and yellow candy.
- Place the eggs in the refrigerator to chill until very firm, at least 1 hour.
- Once the eggs are firm enough to dip, melt the candy coating in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating. Stir until the coating is fluid and smooth.
- Dip the eggs into the chocolate using dipping tools or two forks. Replace them on the baking sheet and, once they're all dipped, refrigerate them briefly to set the chocolate, for about 20 minutes.
- Fondant Eggs can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|