This recipe for a creamy Italian four-cheese sauce, salsa ai quattro formaggi, works great on any type of pasta or gnocchi. It works particularly well on short shapes, like penne, farfalle (bow-tie pasta) or shells.
This recipe makes enough to sauce one 14-ounce (400-g) package of pasta (about 4 servings).
Feel free to experiment and use different cheeses, as long as they are the same type of cheese. Use a hard, aged cheese to substitute for the Parmigiano, or a mild, creamy cheese to substitute for the Fontina. Gruyère would be a good option too.
- 14-ounce (400-g) package pasta of choice
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 to 3 ounces (50 to 75 g) Gorgonzola Dolce or a mild blue cheese
- 2 to 3 ounces (50 to 75 grams) fontina cheese
- Pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- Pinch white pepper
- 3/4 cup (35 g) freshly grated
- Parmigiano-Reggiano or
- Grana Padano cheese
- 1/2 cup (25 g) Pecorino Romano cheese
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add whichever type of pasta you choose.
- Stir, bring back to a boil and start timing according to your desired degree of doneness and instructions on the package.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the milk over medium-low heat.
- Add the Gorgonzola and fontina, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until they are melted and the mixture is homogeneous. Add the nutmeg and white pepper.
- About 1 minute before the pasta is done, remove it from heat and drain it.
- Transfer the drained pasta to a large skillet and stir in the milk-and-cheese mixture and the Parmigiano and Pecorino.
- Cook, shaking the pan continuously and vigorously until the sauce has thickened and the pasta is perfectly al dente and coated in the cheese sauce. Season to taste with fine sea salt.
- Serve hot, with additional grated cheese for topping, if desired, and a green salad or vegetables.
- To make this a complete meal, add cooked chicken, seafood, pork or beef to the finished dish.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||24 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|