|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 28g||36%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||47%|
|Total Carbohydrate 7g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|Total Sugars 1g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This slow cooker steak and gravy is the perfect meal for a cold fall or winter day. Just throw it all together in the crock pot, and you'll come home to a delicious hot meal. It's also an excellent cold weather dish. Set the slow cooker on low and spend the day skiing or sliding with your family. Cook the potatoes about 20 minutes before the steak and gravy are ready.
The recipe calls for cream of mushroom soup, but if you (or members of your family) aren't a fan of mushrooms, use cream of celery or cream of chicken. See the tips for a homemade option.
Serve the steak and gravy with creamy garlic mashed potatoes, a rice dish, or noodles. Serve a simple salad or steamed vegetables on the side or make a vegetable casserole.
2 pounds cube steak, or tenderized round steak, in serving-size pieces
1 dash salt
1 dash freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup beef stock, unsalted, or water
1 (10.75-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 envelope onion gravy mix
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Sprinkle the steaks with salt and pepper and dip them in the flour. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; cook the steaks for about 3 minutes per side, or until browned.
Remove the steaks to the slow cooker and set aside. Add the beef stock to the skillet and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits in the pan.
Add the condensed soup and gravy mix to the beef stock and stir until smooth.
Pour the soup mixture over the steaks. Cover the pot and cook the steak and gravy for 6 to 8 hours on the low setting, or until the steak is tender.
Arrange the steaks and gravy on a platter and garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
Serve the steak and gravy with mashed potatoes or rice, along with a salad or your family's favorite vegetables. Enjoy!
- Instead of onion gravy, make the steak and gravy with a packet of mushroom gravy or plain brown gravy.
- Sauté about 6 to 8 ounces of mushrooms in a small amount of butter or oil until softened. Add them to the sauce mixture.
- Add about 1 cup of sliced onions to the slow cooker before adding the steak.
- Replace the round steak with top sirloin, flank steak, London broil, or lean chuck steak.
- Condensed "cream of" soups are frequently used in slow cooker dishes because they stand up well under long cooking, whereas a dairy-based sauce would break down and curdle. If you prefer a homemade sauce, consider making a thick velouté sauce. In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter and then add 4 tablespoons of flour; cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of chicken stock and cook until thick. Replace the cream of mushroom soup with this mixture and then add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to the dish about 5 minutes before it is ready.
How to Store
If there are any leftovers, they can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days.