|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 servings (6 portions)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 47g||60%|
|Saturated Fat 20g||100%|
|Total Carbohydrate 84g||31%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||18%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Frank's meaty lasagna is made with ground beef and sausage, along with lasagna noodles and tomato sauce. The cheese, sauce, and meat are mixed with the cooked noodles.
If you prefer a layered lasagna, combine the meat and sauce mixture and layer the mixture with the noodles and cheese. See the variation below for layered lasagna instructions.
- 1 (10-ounce) package broad lasagna noodles (broken into small pieces)
- 1 pound lean ground round (or chuck)
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 12 ounces Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 12 ounces ricotta (or cottage cheese)
- 1 (28 ounces) can spaghetti sauce
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
Cook lasagna pasta noodles according to package directions until just tender; drain well.
Lightly grease the bottom and sides of the slow cooker crockery insert.
Place a large skillet over medium heat. Crumble the ground beef and sausage into the pan and cook until no longer pink, stirring frequently. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes longer. Drain well.
Transfer the browned meat mixture to the prepared slow cooker. Add the cooked broken lasagna noodles and remaining ingredients. Stir to mix thoroughly.
Cover, cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.
- To make a layered lasagna instead, in a bowl mix the browned meat mixture with the sauce, basil, pepper, and parsley. Put about one-third of the meat mixture in the greased slow cooker. Top with one-third of the noodles, then the ricotta, then the Mozzarella cheese. Repeat two more layers, ending with the cheese.