Frank's meaty lasagna is made with ground beef and sausage, along with lasagna noodles and tomato sauce. The cheese, sauce, and meat are mixed with the cooked noodles.
If you prefer a layered lasagna, combine the meat and sauce mixture and layer the mixture with the noodles and cheese. See the expert tips for layered lasagna instructions.
- 1 (10-ounce) package broad lasagna noodles (broken into small pieces)
- 1 pound lean ground round (or chuck)
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 12 ounces Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 12 ounces ricotta (or cottage cheese)
- 1 (28 ounces) can spaghetti sauce
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- Cook lasagna pasta noodles according to package directions until just tender; drain well.
- Lightly grease the bottom and sides of the slow cooker crockery insert.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Crumble the ground beef and sausage into the pan and cook until no longer pink, stirring frequently. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes longer. Drain well.
- Transfer the browned meat mixture to the prepared slow cooker. Add the cooked broken lasagna noodles and remaining ingredients. Stir to mix thoroughly.
- Cover, cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.
- Layered Lasagna: alternatively, in a bowl, mix the browned meat mixture with the sauce, basil, pepper, and parsley. Put about one-third of the meat mixture in the greased slow cooker. Top with one-third of the noodles, then the ricotta, then the Mozzarella cheese. Repeat two more layers, ending with the cheese.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||47 g|
|Saturated Fat||20 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||22 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|