This slow cooker ground beef and cabbage combination makes a nice everyday meal. It's similar to unstuffed cabbage rolls but it's even easier.
I recommend cooking the rice separately, and feel free to use a 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes or use a 14 1/2-ounce can of diced tomatoes and a 10 3/4-ounce tomato soup in place of the spaghetti sauce. Add basil and garlic powder, to taste, or make it with your favorite seasoning blend.
If you aren't using extra lean ground beef, brown it in a skillet and drain it before you add it to the slow cooker.
- 1 bag (16 ounces - about 6 cups) shredded cabbage and carrots, divided
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef (do not brown)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 cup long grain rice (cook this separately, if desired)
- 1 jar (28 ounces) chunky spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp. dried basil leaves, crushed
- 1/4 tsp. seasoned salt
- Spray a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place half of the shredded cabbage in the prepared slow cooker.
- Crumble the ground beef over the cabbage layer. Sprinkle the ground beef with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Evenly distribute chopped onion, then rice over all (or cook the rice separately before serving).
- Top with remaining cabbage, salt, and pepper. Combine spaghetti sauce, water, basil and seasoned salt; pour over cabbage.
- Cover and cook on LOW 5 to 6 hours or on HIGH for about 3 hours, or until rice is tender.
- Add 1 tablespoon of instant tapioca to the tomato sauce for a thicker mixture.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||15 g|