The Freddy Fuddpucker is a fun variation on the popular Harvey Wallbanger. They are essentially the same drinks, this one simply replaces the vodka with tequila. It's sometimes also called a cactus banger. Try it as a brunch cocktail or when you want a quick happy hour drink that's a little out of the norm.
The beauty of this drink—just like its more famous counterpart—is in the simplicity. It tops a shot of tequila with orange juice, then adds a Galliano L'Autentico float. The vanilla-herb liqueur adds a nice splash of flavor to the screwdriver-esque mixed drink and the tequila adds a background taste that vodka cannot provide. Best of all, it's a really easy recipe that anyone can pull off.
Gather the ingredients.
Pour tequila into a highball glass filled with ice.
Fill with orange juice, leaving a little room on top of the glass.
Add a Galliano float by slowly pouring it over the back of a bar spoon.
Garnish with an orange slice.
Serve and enjoy!
- Galliano is a liqueur and it should almost naturally float. The trick to layering it is to pour it over the back of a spoon, which disrupts the liquid's flow and evenly distributes it on top. This is a great drink to practice the bartending skill.
- Fresh orange juice will create a better tasting drink. Typically, you can get 3 ounces of juice from a single orange, so squeeze two fruits and you'll have enough for a couple of drinks.
- This drink doesn't require your best tequila, so it's okay to pour a mid-range brand. Customarily, a blanco (silver) tequila is used, but if you're using fresh juice, a reposado tequila is a really nice pairing with the golden liqueur.
- Tequila and grapefruit are a great match. If you like, switch the orange juice for grapefruit juice. It will not be the authentic Freddy Fuddpucker, but it will be a rather tasty drink.
- Other vanilla liqueurs may be used as a substitute for Galliano, but it will not have the full herbal blend of that liqueur. It's also likely that a substitute will have a slightly different specific gravity and that means it may not float as well. However, you can try liqueurs like Giffard Vanille de Madagascar or Tuaca in this cocktail.