Breakfast burritos are a fun recipe that is easy to make and wonderful to have on hand in your freezer. You can vary the additions to this easy and savory recipe for Freezer Breakfast Burritos. Add onions or frozen hash brown potatoes, omit the salsa, use spicy or mild pork sausage, add some minced jalapeño peppers if you like things spicy, or try using different types of cheese or flavored tortillas. The possibilities are endless!
This is a fabulous recipe to have on hand for busy school days. Let every person microwave his or her own burrito (or burritos), and put out orange juice, coffee, milk and some fresh fruit. Or if you're having company for the weekend, tell your guests about this dish. They can feed themselves when they wake up.
You can also thaw these burritos in the refrigerator overnight, then wrap each in foil and bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes until hot. The thawed burritos can also be deep fried in oil heated to 375° F for 3 to 5 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
Serve these burritos with some fresh fruit and a glass of orange juice. Add a mug of coffee for a great breakfast that will be ready to eat in seconds.
- 12 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- 2 cups cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- 24 flour tortillas
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl until combined; add the cream and beat again. Add this mixture to the skillet.
- Cook the eggs in the butter, scraping the bottom of the skillet with a spatula and turning the eggs over occasionally, until they are scrambled and set. Add the cooked sausage and salsa to the scrambled egg mixture and mix gently.
- Warm the tortillas as directed on the product package.
- Place about 1/2 cup of the egg and sausage mixture onto each tortilla and sprinkle with some of the cheese. Roll up each tortilla to make burritos, folding in the ends. Don't overfill the tortillas or they will burst during reheating.
- Place the burritos on parchment paper-lined cookie sheets and freeze them until they are completely frozen and firm. Then wrap each burrito individually in freezer wrap and package in zip-close freezer bags.
- When you're ready to eat, unwrap the burritos, wrap them loosely in microwave-safe paper towel and heat in the microwave on high power for 1 to 3 minutes until the filling is hot and the cheese is melted.