These French dressing recipes include a sweet and tangy tomato-based dressing and a basic oil and vinegar French dressing. They are both very easy recipes with loads of flavor.
Add a bit of prepared horseradish or more cayenne if you like a spicy French dressing.
- For the Tomato Based French Dressing:
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup chili sauce
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Few drops Worcestershire sauce
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Optional: 2 or 3 teaspoons horseradish
- For the Basic Vinaigrette-Style French Dressing:
- 1/4 cup wine vinegar (red or white)
- 3 tablespoons shallots (finely minced)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt, to taste
Tomato-Based French Dressing
In the blender, combine the 1/3 cup of vinegar, 1/3 cup of vegetable oil, chili sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and a dash of cayenne pepper. If desired, add a bit of prepared horseradish.
Blend until smooth.
Makes 1 1/2 cups.
Basic French Dressing Vinaigrette
In the blender or a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup of vinegar, the shallots, and Dijon mustard; process or whisk until well blended.
Add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking or blending constantly.
Taste and season with salt and pepper, as desired.
Makes 1 1/4 cups.