|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
For a fast and nutritious meal, try this delicious French lentil soup recipe. With very little effort, you can have a budget-friendly version of this restaurant favorite on your table in less than 45 minutes. While our recipe calls for chicken stock, this fantastic, homemade lentil soup can also be made with vegetable stock, making it both low fat and vegan – a perfect offering for a variety of dinner guests.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/4 cups lentils, rinsed
- 14-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- In a medium saucepan, sauté the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic over medium-high heat for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Once the vegetables have just started to turn light brown, add the salt, dried thyme, and black pepper to the pan. Continue cooking and stirring the mixture for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken or vegetable stock, lentils, and diced tomatoes to the pan. Bring the soup to a boil, and then reduce the temperature slightly so that it is simmering. Simmer the soup, covered, for 30 minutes, until the lentils are tender.
- Puree 1 3/4 cups of the soup with the cider vinegar and stir the pureed mixture back into the soup.
- Serve the soup hot or store it for up to three days in the refrigerator.This French lentil soup recipe makes 6 servings.