French toast grilled cheese is the mother of all brunch sandwiches. It's sweet, it's savory, it's decadent!
This version has ham and Swiss cheese stuffed between two pieces of rich brioche bread, then it's dipped in french toast batter, and grilled on the stove top. It's very similar to a traditional Monte Cristo sandwich and tastes delicious served with a sweet dipping sauce like raspberry preserves or honey mustard.
Serve it alongside a beautiful mimosa and some home fries and you've got the perfect breakfast or lunch. You can cut them up into cute little squares and serve them on a skewer for a brunch bridal or baby shower. They taste delicious hot or room temperature.
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 slices brioche bread
- 1 pound ham (deli sliced, preferably honey ham)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Optional: raspberry jam
- Optional: honey mustard
Gather the ingredients.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, dijon, onion powder, sugar, and pepper until completely combined and cohesive.
Place one piece of the Swiss cheese on top of a slice of the bread, top with a few slices of ham, and then another slice of Swiss cheese. Top with the second slice of bread. Then repeat with the remaining bread until you have four sandwiches.
Heat a large griddle or skillet on medium-high heat.
Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture so that both sides are coated.
Turn the griddle down to low and add the butter. Coat the griddle with the butter. Place the sandwiches on the griddle and cover each one with a small lid.
Once that side is browned and the cheese is slightly melted, flip the sandwich and cover with the lid again.
Once the other side is brown and the cheese is completely melted remove it from the griddle, cut in half, and serve with the raspberry jam or honey mustard.
- Brioche or another rich bread, like King's Hawaiian bread, tastes the best with this recipe. Look for bread that is made with eggs and has added sugar. You can use other bread, but a sweet and rich one is the best.
- You can also make this grilled cheese with just cheese if you don't want to add the ham. Try using a combination of cheeses like Taleggio, Swiss, fontina, cheddar, or even brie. You can also try adding in fresh fruit or preserves with the cheese, like these Monte Cristo sliders.
- You can even use deli turkey instead of deli ham. Sweeter deli meats that are cured with a honey taste the best for this recipe!