These apple brownies are super easy to prepare with fresh chopped apples and pecans. The brownies are moist and loaded with heavenly cinnamon and apple flavor. For light caramel flavor, use part or all brown sugar in the batter. Or ,make them with a combination of light and dark brown sugar for deeper flavor.
The recipe makes an 8-inch pan of apple brownies, a perfect size for most families. The brownies include pecans, but feel free to use chopped walnuts.
Serve the brownies with a sprinkling of confectioners' sugar or drizzle with butterscotch sauce or caramel sauce. For an extra special dessert, serve a brownie along with a scoop of ice cream. Try them with this buttermilk ice cream!
- 2 apples (medium)
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup/4 1/2 ounces flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional: confectioners' sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour an 8-by-8-inch baking pan.
- Peel and core the apples. Chop the apples finely.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and blend well. Add the vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Add apples and pecans; stir until blended.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the first mixture.
- Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until firm.
- Cool completely and sift confectioners' sugar over the brownies, if desired. Cut into squares for serving.
Some apples are better for baking and some are best eaten raw. For this recipe, choose Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Cortland, Gala, Honeycrisp, Jonathan, or another good baking apple.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|