This fresh, delicious apple cake, baked in a tube pan, is topped with a mixture of butter and brown sugar. The hot topping is poured over the cake when it comes out of the oven, adding a burst of flavor to the dish as a whole.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (13 1/2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 cups chopped apples (such as Rome Beauty)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- For the Topping:
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Generously grease and flour a tube cake pan.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir or whisk to blend thoroughly and then set aside.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the eggs; add the granulated sugar and oil and beat for 3 minutes.
- Gradually stir in sifted dry ingredients.
- Fold in apples, walnuts, and vanilla.
- Spoon the batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan and bake at 350 F for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- About 5 minutes before the cake is done, combine the topping ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and boil for 3 minutes.
- Pour the hot topping over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Let the cake cool and then loosen the sides, invert the cake on a plate and then invert on another plate, topping side up.
- The cake may be baked in a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan. Bake it for about 40 to 45 minutes. Pour the brown sugar sauce over the cake, let the cake cool, and serve it from the baking pan.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|