Here is a simple and delicious recipe for breakfast sausage. You can reduce or increase the amount of red pepper flakes based on how spicy you like your breakfast.
- 1 pound (450 g) lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound (225 g) ground pork
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) black pepper
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground meat with remaining ingredients.
- Form into 4-5 inch wide and 1 1/2 inch thick patties. Place sausage patties on lightly oiled grill grate. Let cook for 12-15 minutes, turning a few times during cooking process. Once cooked through (165 degrees in thickest part of the patty), remove from heat.
- These can be served alone with eggs and hash brown potatoes, crumbled and used in casseroles, or placed onto an English muffin, croissant, or large biscuit along with egg and cheese to make a delectable breakfast sandwich.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|