Autumn brings us a bounty of delicious fall fruits. Apples, pears, and cranberries make a wonderful combination. Lots of beautiful textures and flavors in this salad: fresh fruits, dried cranberries, blue cheese, red onion and a little balsamic vinegar.
Both tart and sweet, this salad make a great salad to start a meal or can be used as a side dish to accompany chicken or pork.
- 1 large apple (peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 pear (ripe, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1/4 cup cranberries (dried)
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 4 ounces blue cheese (firm, crumbled)
- 1/2 red onion (sliced thin)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- To Taste: Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Optional: Mixed salad greens
Place the walnuts on a cookie sheet and toast in a preheated oven at 350 F for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove, let cool and roughly chop.
In a large bowl, toss together all the ingredients.
Serve plain or on a bed of romaine lettuce or mixed greens.