- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs (separated)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 quart vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 4 cups banana (chunks; or peach slices, apples chunks, or fresh berries of your choice)
- 1/2 powdered sugar (or cinnamon sugar)
- Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- In a bowl, combine egg yolks, milk, and 1 tablespoon corn oil; blend well
- In a metal or glass bowl with an electric mixer, beat the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Fold the beaten egg whites into the batter.
- Pour oil into a deep fryer or heavy deep kettle and heat to 370°.
- Put some of the banana chunks or fruit chunks in the batter; gently stir to coat.
- With tongs, fork, or spoon, lower the battered fruit pieces into hot deep oil and fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Work in small batches.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle hot fritters with powdered sugar or roll in cinnamon sugar mixture.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|