This is a classic Southern salad, and this is the basic version. Navel oranges are sweetened and served with coconut. Many people add miniature marshmallows to the salad, and other fruits may be added. Try it with pieces of apple, sliced bananas, or peaches. Toss some grapes or berries with the ambrosia and top it with toasted pecans.
- 4 large navel oranges
- 6 tablespoons sugar (confectioners')
- 1 1/3 cups coconut (grated, fresh) or 1 can/3 1/2 oz. coconut (flaked)
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Peel oranges, being careful to remove all outer white membrane. Cut oranges crosswise into thin slices, about 1/8 inch thick.
- Layer a third of slices in a serving bowl. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the confectioners' sugar, then with 1/3 cup coconut and 1 tablespoon orange juice. Repeat the layers two more times.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Makes 6 servings.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|