|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 to 12 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 23g||30%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||53%|
|Total Carbohydrate 65g||24%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||19%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This layered peach shortcake looks beautiful and tastes fantastic. Fresh peaches are the best when they're in season, but you can also make this dessert at any time of the year with frozen peaches. You can also use canned peaches if you omit the granulated sugar, or you can try using apple filling, rhubarb, or strawberries. However you decide to make it, this dessert is sure to become a favorite with your family.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (13 1/2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 6 ounces butter (about 3/4 cup, softened)
- 1/2 cup pecans (coarsely chopped)
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- Optional: 1/4 cup cinnamon sugar
- 8 to 10 medium peaches (about 2 pounds)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (to sweeten the peaches)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or about 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract
In a mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in brown sugar, breaking up large lumps. With a pastry blender or hands, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in chopped pecans.
In a cup or small bowl, whisk the egg with the milk. Add the milk and egg mixture to first mixture; stir with a fork until blended.
Turn two 8 or 9-inch round cake pans upside-down and grease bottoms. Lightly dust with flour.
Spread half the dough on each bottom to within about 1/2-inch of edge.
Sprinkle the dough lightly with a cinnamon sugar mixture, if desired.
Bake at 425 F for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool.
Peel, slice and sweeten peaches with about 1 1/2 cups sugar or to taste. In a small bowl, whip cream with the vanilla or almond extract until stiff.
Carefully place one shortcake on a plate, top with about half of the peaches and whipped cream. Top with second shortcake and remaining peaches and whipped cream.