Fresh salmon is an excellent choice for this chowder, but feel free to use chunks of canned salmon if you prefer. The recipe includes cheese and a variety of vegetables. Potatoes, peas, and celery are among the vegetables in this delicious soup.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 2/3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 12 to 16 ounces diced fresh salmon or canned flaked salmon
- 1 cup thawed frozen peas
- 2 cups half-and-half or whole milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat butter over medium-low heat. Add celery, carrot, and onion; saute, stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes, until celery is tender. Stir in the flour until well blended.
- Stir in chicken broth and add potatoes. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Cover and simmer, stirring frequently, for 15 to 18 minutes, or until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Add the salmon and peas; cook, stirring, for 2 to 4 minutes, or until the peas are tender. Add half-and-half or milk, along with cheese and parsley.
- Cook while stirring until cheese is melted and the soup just begins to bubble..
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|