- 2 cups dried apples
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (sifted or stirred before measuring)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 quart oil (for deep frying)
- Cover dried apples with water; simmer, covered, for 30 to 40 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder; cut in butter. Add eggs and milk; mix to form a soft dough. Roll dough out thin and cut into 4 circles about 5 inches in diameter.
- Combine nutmeg, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Place 1/2 cup dried apples in the center of each circle, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the sugar mixture, then fold over. Wet edges with a little milk and seal with a fork.
- Fry at about 370° in deep fryer until golden brown. Drain well. Serve with cream or ice cream.
Makes 4 fried apple pies.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|